Home / DIY / Essential Tips for a Fire-Proof Home

Essential Tips for a Fire-Proof Home

Photo by: Bigstockphoto
Photo by: Bigstockphoto

In the US, one house fire is reported every 86 seconds. In fact, the US National Fire Protection Association or NFPA recorded 1,298,000 fires reported in 2014 alone. These house fires caused$11.6 billion in property damage and 3,275 civilian deaths.

House fires are perfectly preventable. And with a little effort, you can create an almost fire-proof home, keeping the entire household safe. In today’s post, we are listing down some of the best tricks for a fire-resistant home:

Never Overload the Electric Sockets

Ever tried using an electric socket extension and overloading it by plugging 5 to 8 appliances all at home? Although we have nothing against using socket extensions, they can cause a house fire if you overload them. Do not overload your plugs especially if you are using appliances that suck a lot of power. If you are not using a certain appliance, remove the plug from the electric socket. The same thing goes if you go to bed at night. Before you sleep, survey your space quickly and remove plugged appliances.

Do not Leave Lit Candles Unattended

Neglected lit candles are one of the most common causes of house fires. Lit candles are very common during the Halloween season. Scented candles are also left to burn unattended to give atmospheric illumination in the home. If you want to avoid thousands or millions of dollars in structural damages, always blow out all candles when you leave the room. If you have kids or pets, do not let them play with lit candles and blow these candles out so they do not get knocked over. Avoid using candles in the bedroom because there’s a good chance that you’ll fall asleep and leave the candles burning!

Use Fire-Proof Sprays

Fireproof sprays are a lifesaver. These products are very convenient and easy to use too. Just buy a flame retardant spray from the local hardware store and spray it on your furniture. The spray contains a fire-resistant chemical that coats the material of your furniture, making it less prone to combustion when exposed to direct heat. It is quite a clever product that every home should never be without!

Check Your Smoke Alarms Regularly

It does not make sense to use a faulty smoke alarm especially during the summer season where grass fires and house fires are common. Statistics show that homeowners are 4 times more likely to die from a house fire if the smoke alarm is broken. Always check if your smoke alarms are working properly. This is your first line of defense in case a fire broke inside the home.

Keep a Fire extinguisher

A fire extinguisher is a must in every home. You want to keep one ready in the kitchen. Store the fire extinguisher at least 10 feet away from the stove. Put the fire extinguisher in a place where it is easy to see and grab during an emergency. Teach your family how to use the fire extinguisher. Fire extinguishers must be refilled every 6 to 7 years for optimal function.

Use Fire-Resistant Appliances

Most house fires occur in the kitchen. While it is almost impossible to fireproof the entire kitchen, you cannot go wrong with using fireproof or fire resistant cooking appliances and tools. Use cooking tools and appliances that are especially designed for safety. For instance, induction cookers are less likely to cause a fire compared to a traditional stove.

Facebook Fan Page

Be first to get an exclusive and helpful articles every day! Like us on Facebook